I’m pretty sure a Negative Nancy came waltzing into my brain today and decided to take over. It was terrible. Everything, and I mean everything, had this ugly negative spin on it. Yes, it’s true. I can’t believe I’m admitting this to the world, but it happens to all of us. At one point or another it’s like this little bug lodges itself in our brain and buzzes a negative tune and it’s like there is no darn way to make it stop!
Or so it makes us think…
You see, no matter what we encounter in our lives, we have power over it. Well, sort of. We have that power if we are aware that we do and choose to exercise it.
But how do we shift out of that negative zone when we find ourselves in it? Here are some tips:
1) Take a cold shower. If you’re at home, do it! This will not only shift you on a physical level, but it’ll totally renew your energy field. Cold showers in particular are known to make your aura sparkle.
2) Ask for help. Ask in your head or out loud to whomever you believe in be it God, angels, your higher self, that sweet shining Buddha within, etc. to help you shift out of that negative place. This helps you let go and surrender to something stronger that can overpower that negativity that pretends to have all the control over your mind. Just ask for help, let go and the powers of this blissful universe will come. Sometimes we encounter resistance and this can take a little while to totally shift, but please don’t undermine the value of asking for help.
3) Use the power of intention. The almighty power of intention can be used to set your intention on focusing elsewhere. The more you focus on the negativity, the more you feed it. Focus on something else that is beautiful and moving. Play a nice song or change the desktop picture on your computer to something that touches you. Do what you have to do wherever you are to shift your mind to something that is beautiful to you and focus really hard on it. Tell yourself why it is beautiful, why you love it so much, and let its beauty take you over as much as you can. Do this for a couple minutes straight. This will start to shift your thoughts which will in turn help to shift your feelings.
4) Do something different. If you’ve been washing the dishes and doing chores playing the same old tape about how badly you were treated by your boss or whatever your situation, then stop and go out for a walk or put on an exercise dvd and start exercising, etc. Conversely, if you’ve been working away at the computer, then maybe it’s time to get to some chores or other manual tasks. Don’t keep doing what you’ve been doing.
5) Tap your thymus. This is actually said to stimulate your immune system, but I have found many times that it also helped to release stuck emotional “stuff” and lifted my mood! You can do this anywhere and if you’re feeling self-conscious at work or in public, just pop into bathroom stall and tap away.
6) Try toning. Toning is holding a note with your voice. The notes can change and you should follow your intuition and your feelings as to where to go with your voice be it low or high notes and so on. For certain people, this is an amazingly effective technique to help move energy.
And remember, when you’re seemingly stuck in that negative place, you have the power to change it. Different techniques work better for some than others, but in the end it’s a matter of moving the energy.
It is up to you to make whatsoever you want out of your life. An enlightened consciousness makes even death beautiful. An unenlightened consciousness makes even life ugly. For an enlightened consciousness, only beauty exists — only beauty; only bliss exists — only bliss. –Osho
Photo credit: From flickr, posted by atl068
© 2012, Melina Schetakis. All rights reserved.